Renewable energy is when natural resources are used to create energy that can be used as electricity or other forms of power. The natural resources used to generate energy must be produced faster than it is being used so that the resources can be used by future generations without finishing. Renewable energy does not harm the environment.
Reasons why South Africa must include renewable energy in its energy mix:
• To build places where renewable energy can be generated would be cheaper than to build coal power stations which is what South Africa is mostly using now. Renewable energy is said to be getting cheaper to produce while energy made from fossil fuels will get more expensive. This will help to improve South Africa’s economy.
• By creating places to produce renewable energy, jobs are created through building and …show more content…
Bats and birds often get killed by the blades as they spin.
• For wind turbines to generate enough energy to power a city, a wind farm will take up a large area of space. The tallest wind turbine can only power 475 homes when it reaches full speed. It would take up a lot of energy and space to power places likes schools, work and homes.
• To build a wind farm, large areas of land need to be flattened. This results in the environment being destroyed. Also while the windmill is being built, some pollution is being created. This means that to create an energy source that lessens pollution, first the environment needs to polluted by what is meant to be improving the environment.
• Even though wind is free, it becomes expensive to build wind turbines and maintain them. It also costs a lot to buy out and maintain the large area of land needed for the wind farms to be built up. Wind energy in result is not the cheapest energy source that could be