Social Media Ruins Body Image And Self-Esteem

1056 Words 5 Pages
Digitalisation has overcome today 's society. Digitalisation is the everyday use of technology. People are not born addicted to anything, it’s the lifestyle lived that makes people addicted. Addiction to social media comes with being attached to technology. The current generation is attached to technology, causing teens to become addicted to social media. Social media ruins teens body image and self-esteem. Body image is how people think and feel about their body; self- esteem is how people think and feel about themselves (Gallivan, slide 1). Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, and Twitter are the most well known apps where you can post and communicate. Teenage girl’s self-esteem and body image is lowered through social media because of bullying. …show more content…
These apps are where users get their daily entertainment. Facebook is where you can post how your day has been, how you feel, get in touch with people, and complain. When posting on Facebook, the intention is to get feedback. People make comments on posts that they are interested in, both positive and negative. Twitter is where you can tweet your feelings or unimportant things, that ‘need’ to be said. Sometimes Twitter can get very harsh because users will have different feelings about the topic, and ‘Twitter fights’ can break out. Basically, Twitter is to make other people jealous of your life. Instagram is an app where you can post pictures, comment, like the pictures, and follow people. On Instagram, the pictures that are being posted aren’t reality, no person will post an awful picture, Instagram is meant to make your life look great. Finally, Snapchat is where people will judge their life against one of their friends. On Snapchat, pictures are sent to people with geotags, which is a little stamp with your location. Social media “ is the reality how the internet has not only made our lives easier, it has become a life, love, breakup, and death updating tool” (Social Media effect on teens, para 5). These apps make it easy to distort reality and become desensitized to the feelings of others because the person to person is removed and teens feel compelled to lie about their true lie to compete with …show more content…
With those girls feeling this way, their self- esteem was ruined. Others may say it is not the negativity on social media, it is actually the attention that boosts self- esteem. Studies show, “many users want to get as many re-tweets and followers as possible so more people can see their account, and when that happens there is a good chance people 's self-esteem goes up as well” (Social media helps us with self-esteem, para 10). This study showed that 65 % (Social media helps us with self-esteem, para 9) of people felt happy about themself when they posted on social media. A local survey shows that social media actual lessens your self esteem and body image. Twelve out of thirty-nine people, which is 30% out of 100 do not care when they get negative feedback. The other twenty-seven people, which is 70% of 100 were sad, depressed, and angry. 75% of the people who were sad, depressed, and angry were females. “53% of 13 year-old American girls are unhappy with their bodies. This number grows to 78% by the time girls reach 17”(Gallivan, slide 4). Being said, social media affects more females than

Related Documents