6 Essential Facts You Need To Know About Weight Loss Medication

761 Words 4 Pages
Web Content: Weight Loss Medication
Weight loss medication, also known as diet pills or anti-obesity drugs controls or reduces weight by regulating the absorption of calories. Weight loss medications are available as Over-the-Counter drugs, prescription drugs and herbal supplements. Prescription drugs are FDA regulated. These drugs are issued strictly with a doctor’s prescription, the doctor also closely monitor’s their use. Certain weight loss prescription drugs with Scheduled stimulants are regulated by the Drug Enforcement Agency (DEA). OTC medications are available without a doctor’s notice or prescription and most are regulated by the Federal Drug Administration (FDA). Herbal diet supplements, on the other hand, are available with no prescription.
…show more content…
Qsymia is a controlled substance under the DEA schedule, its generic name is phentermine and topiramate.
• Xenica – the generic name of Xenica is Orlistat. It is a lipase inhibitor and a prescription form of the Over-the-Counter drug Alli. The drug prevents the absorption of fat in the intestines.

6 Essential facts you need to know about prescription weight loss medication
1. Weight loss medication usage
FDA reiterates that weight less drugs be prescribed to people with serious weight problems. For example people with a BMI of over 30 or serious weight issues that may compound the patient’s health situation.

2. Health benefits of weight loss drugs outweigh the results of the weight loss
Weight loss drugs such as Saxenda and Qysimia may lead to a weight loss of up to 5% of the total body weight. Although these results may seem dismal, the loss is significant critical in the overall health and well being of a person. According to CDC, a weight loss of 5% to 10% can lead to better blood sugar control, reduced blood pressure and manageable blood cholesterol levels.

3. The drugs work better when accompanied by diet and exercise
…show more content…
For example, the weight loss drug Qsymia may lead to tachycardia.

6. The doctor may change your prescription if it doesn’t work
Since all weight loss drugs are not the same and the body may responds differently to different drugs. Your physician may replace your medicines with another set of drugs in order to come up with the best working combination.

The principal purpose of using a weight loss medicine is to reduce or control weight. Weight loss pills often work following two or three mechanisms. The mechanisms include reducing appetite, increasing the fat or calorie burn up and reducing the level of caloric absorption. Weight loss pills fall under the categories; Over-the-Counter medicines, prescription drugs and herbal medications. These pills are only recommended for people suffering serious weight loss problems. A weight loss medication should not be taken in place of a healthy food or exercise plan. Before you start using any weight loss drug, it is important to consult your doctors to learn about the drug and understand the effects associated with using the drug. You can start by calling your physician to schedule a

Related Documents