Study your flashcards anywhere!

Download the official Cram app for free >

  • Shuffle
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Alphabetize
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Front First
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Both Sides
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
  • Read
    Toggle On
    Toggle Off
Reading...
Front

How to study your flashcards.

Right/Left arrow keys: Navigate between flashcards.right arrow keyleft arrow key

Up/Down arrow keys: Flip the card between the front and back.down keyup key

H key: Show hint (3rd side).h key

A key: Read text to speech.a key

image

Play button

image

Play button

image

Progress

1/7

Click to flip

7 Cards in this Set

  • Front
  • Back
what is the definition of relative risk?
1. from cohort study (prospective)
2. risk of develping dz for people c/ known exposure compared to risk of developing dz s/ exposure
what is the definition of odds ratio?
1. from case-control study (retrospective)
2. approximates relative risk by comapring odds of developing dz in exposed pts to odds of developing dz in unexposed pts
3. if dz is rare, odds ratio approaches true relative risk
what is the definition of variance?
estimate of the variability of each individaul data point from the mean
what is the definition of std deviation?
square root of the variance
what is the definition of type I error (alpha error)?
1. null hypothesis is rejected even though it is true
2. e.g. the study says the intervention works but it only appears to work b/c of random chance
what is the definition of type II error (beta error)?
1. null hypothesis is NOT rejected even though it is false
2. the study fails to detect a true effect of the intervention
what is the definition of power (1-beta)?
1. estimate of the probability a study will be able to detect a true effect of the intervention
2. e.g. power of 80% means that if the intervention works, the study has an 80% chance of detecing this but a 20% chance of randomly missing it