Study your flashcards anywhere!
Download the official Cram app for free >
- Shuffle Toggle OnToggle Off
- Alphabetize Toggle OnToggle Off
- Front First Toggle OnToggle Off
- Both Sides Toggle OnToggle Off
- Read Toggle OnToggle Off
How to study your flashcards.
Right/Left arrow keys: Navigate between flashcards.right arrow keyleft arrow key
Up/Down arrow keys: Flip the card between the front and back.down keyup key
H key: Show hint (3rd side).h key
A key: Read text to speech.a key
6 Cards in this Set
–verb (used with object) 提煉,使精鍊
1. to bring to a fine or a pure state; free from impurities: to refine metal, sugar, or petroleum.
Crude oil can be refined into various petroleum products. 原油可煉製成各種石油產品。
2. to purify from what is coarse, vulgar, or debasing; make elegant or cultured.
Reading good books helps to refine our speech. 讀一些好書有助於使我們的言談更優雅。
–verb (used without object) 被提煉,琢磨
5. to become pure.
6. to become more fine, elegant, or polished.
The firm's top man refined on his management style. 公司總裁對管理作風作了精微的改進。
–verb (used with object) 攻克,戰勝
1. to acquire by force of arms; win in war: to conquer a foreign land.
The city was conquered overnight. 那座城市在夜裡被攻克。
2. to overcome by force; subdue: to conquer an enemy.
3. to gain, win, or obtain by effort, personal appeal, etc.: conquer the hearts of his audience.
I finally conquered my fear of heights. 我終於克服了我的懼高心理。
–verb (used without object) 得勝, 勝利
5. to be victorious; make conquests; gain the victory: Despite their differences, their love will conquer.
to try to achieve a particular aim, especially one that is very difficult
Instead of demanding perfection, just shoot for effective communication.
–verb (used without object), strove or strived, striv·en 努力, 苦幹, 奮鬥
1. to exert oneself vigorously; try hard: He strove to make himself understood.
Today women are striving to occupy positions previously closed to them. 現今婦女正在努力爭取以往不對她們開放的職位。
2. to make strenuous efforts toward any goal: to strive for success.
3. to contend in opposition, battle, or any conflict; compete.
The swimmer strove against the tide. 游泳者與潮水搏鬥。
–verb (used with object) 榨, 擠, 緊握
1. to press forcibly together; compress.
He squeezed the tube hard and the last bit of toothpaste came out. 他使勁擠牙膏管子, 擠出了最後一點牙膏。
2. to apply pressure to in order to extract juice, sap, or the like: to squeeze an orange.
3. to force out, extract, or procure by pressure: to squeeze juice from an orange.
She squeezed some juice from a lemon. 她從一隻檸檬中擠出了一些汁。
–verb (used without object) 擠, 壓
14. to exert a compressing force.
He squeezed on the tube until some toothpaste came out. 他擠牙膏管直到擠出一些牙膏。
–noun 榨, 緊抱, 緊握
17. the act or fact of squeezing or the fact of being squeezed.
He gave the orange another squeeze. 他又把柳橙榨了一下。
18. a clasping of one's hand around another's hand, arm, etc., as a token of affection, friendship, sympathy, or the like.
He gave my hand a squeeze. 他緊緊握一握我的手。
/adj., n. ɑrˈtɪkyəlɪt/
/ v. ɑrˈtɪkyəˌleɪt/
–adjective 發音清晰的, 善於表達的, 有關節相連的
1. uttered clearly in distinct syllables.
Articulate speech is essential for a teacher. 對教師來說, 口齒清楚是必不可少的。
2. capable of speech; not speechless.
Arthur is the most articulate of the brothers. 亞瑟是兄弟中最會說話的。
3. using language easily and fluently; having facility with words: an articulate speaker.
Insects are articulate animals. 昆蟲是有節的動物。
–verb (used with object) 清晰地吐(字); 清晰地發(音)
9. to utter clearly and distinctly; pronounce with clarity.
10. Phonetics . to make the movements and adjustments of the speech organs necessary to utter (a speech sound).
–verb (used without object) 清晰地吐(字); 清晰地發(音)
15. to pronounce clearly each of a succession of speech sounds, syllables, or words; enunciate: to articulate with excessive precision.